Sunday, May 8, 2011

AKA Probate



















Sixteen Texas Southern University female students officially became members of the Gamma Psi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha INC. sorority during their probate at the Sterling Life Student Center.

Several students crowded around the popular campus area known as the pit as each of the AKA pledges on line walked down the tiger walk singing I Wanted to be an AKA the traditional AKA pledge song.










As the pledges approach their spots, the president of the chapter, Noelle Sims, gave a definition of an AKA sorority woman.

“AkA is a service to all mankind and we are real big on community service and giving back to the community,” Sims said. “We also focus on womanhood how you carry yourself.”

The AKA pledges greeted all the sororities and fraternities by stating when and where they were founded, and the sororities and fraternities responded with the traditional Greek call.

The crowd cheered as the pledges unveiled themselves from the green scarves and sun glasses that withheld their identity until it was time to officially introduce themselves as sisters of the AKA sorority.

The pledges stepped forward one by one and stated their line name and number to the crowd of friends and family as a complimenting song played in the back ground.

“I am so very happy to see my daughter go through this process,” Tanielle Jackson said, “I am an AKA myself and so is my mother so the legacy continues to trickle down generation after generation, and we all know everybody wants to be an A-k-A.”

Officially sworn in as members of the AKA Gamma Psi Chapter sorority, several of the AKA sisters expressed how they were feeling.


“I have wanted to become an AKA since I was in middle school and this was one of the goals I wanted to achieve,” Ashlee Jones said. “I am blessed that I was chosen because there was 80 girls that were at the rush and only 16 were chosen,” Jones explained.

Senior Dior Gardner explains how significant pledging was for her as a graduating senior.

“It is a honor and a privilege to finally be a member of such a distinguished organization,” Dior said, “ I have waited a long time for this and to be able to add the pink and green sash as part of my graduation outfit means the world to me,” Gardner said.

The Alpha Kappa Alpha Inc. sorority was founded in 1908 on the campus of Howard University. The organization now has more than 950 chapters worldwide, though are mostly prominent at historically black colleges and universities.

No comments:

Post a Comment